JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DIVERSITY COORDINATOR 2013-14 SCHOOL YEAR UNTIL: JAN 21, 2014
REPORTS TO: Chief Human Resources Officer
SALARY RANGE: $70,000-80,000; Competitive Administrative Benefits Package
START DATE: Feb 17, 2014
If questions, call the Chief Human Resources Officer, Dr. Anne Sullivan at (515)321-5986.
POSITION SUMMARY: Assists in the development and execution of programs, initiatives, and training that promote and support
diversity in the school district. Monitors and insures compliance with regard to assuring equal access to educational, employment,
and promotional opportunities. Provides information, requirements, training, and support to school district leaders and staff to
insure compliance with all diversity initiatives and legal mandates.
1. Acts as a consultant in resolving charges of noncompliance with established policies of equal access because of race, gender,
age, color, religion, national origin, disabilities, or marital status.
2. Investigates complaints of illegal employment practices that involve race, gender, color, age, religion, national origin, disabilities,
or marital status and reports such findings to appropriate district leaders.
3. Coordinates and works with legal counsel and regulatory agencies in resolving issues related to compliance.
4. Develops, monitors, and communicates district equity employment opportunity and affirmative action plan.
5. Assists with recruiting candidates underrepresented as outlined in district EEO/AA Plan.
6. Executes and/or monitors educational programs/opportunities in schools, departments, etc., to determine compliance with the
goals of the District and provides annual status reports.
7. Assists in developing, preparing, analyzing, and disseminating reports and information regarding compliance and effectiveness
of diversity and equal opportunity initiatives.
8. Monitors district compliance with Affirmative Action, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VI and VII of
the Civil Rights Act, and other applicable laws or program requirements and related issues.
9. Assists in recommending new policies and programs that support diversity as well as regulations and procedures relating to equal
access and equal opportunity.
10. Designs and delivers staff development sessions relating to equal opportunity, cultural competency, compliance, civil rights
grievance process, etc. for appropriate school district personnel and students.
11. Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination laws and board policy.
12. Maintains knowledge of all applicable laws, rules, and regulations related to diversity and EEO issues.
13. Reviews and communicates current developments, literature, and technical sources of information related to diversity and EEO
initiatives and compliance.
14. Works to learn and continuously improve skill set through professional development
15. Collaborates with Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Departments to develop a systemic plan for incorporating Multi
Cultural Gender Fair (MCGF) approaches; documents efforts to include diversity in Career and Technical (CTE) advisory and other
committees; analyzes over/underrepresentation in CTE courses by race, gender, and disability.
16. Demonstrates prompt and regular attendance.
17. Maintains harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. An earned bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution.
2. Minimum of two (2) years of experience and/or training in diversity, EEO, or related field.
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Social Science, Human Resources, Education or job-related field.
2. Five (5) or more years of experience and/or training in diversity, EEO, or related field.
Interviews with qualified candidates will begin immediately.
Please apply on our website at www.dmschools.org/careers.
Minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Des Moines Independent Community School District is committed to hiring a diverse workforce of the best qualified candidates
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital
status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and
its employment practices.
Paulette R. Wiley
Transactions Services Senior Supervisor
Iowa Payment and Check Operations
4740 121st Street / Urbandale IA / 50323
Cell: (515) 867-6189
The Future Depends on What We Do Today…..